Image by Word Swag
All About Grasshoppers: an activity for children of all ages. Grasshoppers are interesting insects which create beautiful music but can also do serious damage to a garden. In this activity, children will learn all about grasshoppers.
- Throughout the week memorize Malachi 3:11, “I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe,” says the LORD Almighty.”
- On a warm day, go outside in search of a grasshopper. Spend some time observing a grasshopper (under a magnifying glass if able) and ask questions. Watch the grasshopper as they prepare to jump. Which pair of legs is longer? Discuss how they are able to jump so far.
- Consider reading one or more of the suggested resource books and/or watching the following videos:
- How does a grasshopper eat? Which way do the jaws move? What food are they eating? How do they make music? Why do they make this music? If desired, watch the following video:
- Document findings.
- For an older child: have them investigate and document the function or role of each part labeled.
- Feel free to add your memory verse, poems, recipes, memories, or quotes about grasshoppers to your garden notebook/journal.
- Place the page(s) in a protector when finished and include it in the garden notebook/journal.
- Take pictures of your grasshopper adventures and learning and tag #theabundantgarden on Instagram to share your fun and for an opportunity to be featured @theabundantgarden.