Fiesta salad: an activity for children of all ages. Not only do beans and corn grow well together (see Three Sisters Garden activity), they also go well together in a salad. In this activity, children will learn how to make a salad that is low in calories and high in nutrients.
*This recipe was adapted from a recipe from popsugar.com.
- knife (use with adult discretion)
- cutting board
- Ingredients: (serves four)
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked as directed on package)
- 1 English cucumber, diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups corn (fresh or grilled)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (half red, half yellow)
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2/3 cup shredded carrots (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- taco seasoning or chili powder as desired
- Dressing ingredients: (if desired) adapted from veganhuggs.com.
1/3 cup fresh lime juice, more if desired
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon maple syrup, honey, or agave
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder or taco seasoning, more to taste
1 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
ground pepper, to taste
- Prepare the quinoa and produce and combine in a bowl.
- Squeeze the fresh lime juice onto the salad, add salt and pepper and other seasonings or make and add the dressing as desired. Stir well.
- If making the dressing, combine ingredients in a blender or whisk together in a small bowl.
- Add the diced avocado and enjoy!