Image by WordSwag
Fruits and Their Leaves – an activity for children of all ages. Unless the fruit tree is a hybrid, matching the leaves of the tree to the fruit is a good way for a child to be able to identify or recognize an edible fruit tree. Observing the size, shape, and color, and other characteristics of the tree leaves, is an ideal way to identify the fruit tree and determine if they have problems and/or disease. In this activity, children will learn how to identify leaves.
- Visit a local orchard to collect samples (if allowed) or take pictures of the fruit and their leaves. Or you can also use The Sibley Guide to Trees or portlandfruit.org as a resource and guide.
- Draw a number of fruits such as apple, cherry, peach, pear, fig etc (as many as desired) on small pieces of paper, measuring approximately 3inX3in.
- Draw the leaf of each of these to match the fruit (include any flowers) on papers of the same size as above.
- Play a game with the cards, matching the leaf to the correct fruit.
- Take pictures and tag #theabundantgarden on Instagram to share your fun and for an opportunity to be featured @theabundantgarden.