Image by WordSwag
Fruits and Their Leaves – an activity for children of all ages. Unless the fruit tree is a hybrid, matching the leaves of the tree to the fruit is a good way for a child to be able to identify or recognize an edible fruit tree. Observing the size, shape, and color, and other characteristics of the tree leaves is an ideal way to identify the fruit tree and determine if they have problems and/or disease.
- Visit your local orchard to collect samples (if allowed) or take pictures of the fruit and their leaves. Or you can also use The Sibley Guide to Trees or portlandfruit.org as a resource and guide.
- Draw a number of fruits such as apple, cherry, peach, pear, fig etc (as many as desired).
- Draw the leaf of each of these to the matching fruit and include any flowers.
- Include any poems, favorite recipes, memories, or quotes corresponding to the appropriate fruit as desired
- Place the page or pages in a protector when finished and include them in the garden notebook/journal..