Image by WordSwag
Grow Your Own Wheat: an activity for children of all ages. Wheat is able to grow almost anywhere in America and in most other places of the world. It is much healthier when you grow your own, as you are able to organically amend your own soil and grind it fresh. According to an article by the Organic Consumers Association, a 10 foot by 10 foot patch of planted wheat seed will yield enough wheat for approximately 10-25 loaves of bread. In this activity, children will learn how to grow their own wheat.
- Read a great article by modernfarmer.com and motherearthnews.com to learn more about growing your own grains.
- Watch the following videos below to see how it’s done.
- The following video shows another way of planting and harvesting wheat.
- After you have grown and harvested your own wheat, you can grind it into flour and make your own homemade breads and/or pastas depending on the type of wheat you have grown.
- Take pictures of planting and harvesting your wheat and tag #theabundantgarden on Instagram to share your fun and for an opportunity to be featured @theabundantgarden.