Image by Word Swag
Homemade Corn Tortillas: an activity for children of all ages. Prior to this activity, consider reading The Tortilla Factory (ages 4-9) by Gary Paulsen, Magda’s Tortillas (ages 5-8) by Becky Chavvaria-Chairez, and/or Burro’s Tortillas (highly recommended for children ages 4-8) by Terri Fields. In this activity, children will learn about the homemade tortilla tradition that is passed down from generation to generation.
- tortilla press (optional)
- cast iron skillet
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1.5 cups hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine the masa harina and salt.
- Pour in the water and mix (the dough should feel warm and springy).
- Take one heaping tablespoon of dough and form into a ball. Continue making balls until dough is gone.
- Flatten the ball with a tortilla press lined with wax paper or a plastic bag or flatten between your hands lined with plastic. (If the dough is too dry, add more water. If it is too sticky, add more masa.)
- Cook tortilla in a skillet until the there are brown spots and the edges curl (about 30 seconds -2 minutes).
- Turn and cook another 15-30 seconds.
- Repeat until dough is gone.