My Wellness Plate

The Abundant Garden: Growing Quality Kids Through Gardening by Kinderfarmhomeschool.com

My Wellness Plate: an activity for children of all ages. Healthy eating is one of the top ways to minimize health problems. The amount of servings recommended per day per food group does vary throughout the years, so stay as up-to-date as possible. The goal of this activity is to make children more aware of what they eat and why they eat it, and learn how to make healthy food choices.

  • Supplies:
  • Read one or more of the following books:
  • Ask your child what happens when they forget to add nutrients to the soil or water the plants, or use the wrong ingredients when feeding their plants. Talk with them about the importance of proper nutrition: eating processed foods vs raw, eating the rainbow (eating a variety of multi-colored fruits and vegetables), whole grains, fat-free or low-fat dairy, and limiting sugars, caffeine, sodium, and saturated fats. Ask questions such as, “What benefits do the nutrients in the different food groups provide for our bodies?” And, “How many servings of each do we need each day?” (https://www.ahealthiermichigan.org/2015/04/28/why-all-5-food-groups-are-essential-to-maximizing-your-health/ and http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/HealthyDietGoals/Suggested-Servings-from-Each-Food-Group_UCM_318186_Article.jsp#.Wl9odKinHIV)
  • Create a MyPlate Daily Checklist using this MyPlate calculator as a guide. If you are vegan or gluten-free, make the necessary adjustments as advised by your physician. (https://www.choosemyplate.gov/MyPlate-Daily-Checklist-input)
  • Write examples of foods that belong to each of the food groups (ie grains: oatmeal, bread, cereal, pasta, quinoa, etc).
  • Draw or cut pictures from magazines of the different food groups (veggies, fruits, grains, proteins, and dairy if desired. Cut an amount that is enough to make the day’s recommended percentage ratios. (For example, vegetables should take up about 60% of one side of the plate and fruits the other 40%). To see an example, google my plate. Children can also make their own drawings as desired. Encourage each child to be creative and unique, allowing talents and personalities to grow and develop.
  • Using a paper plate, attach the pictures to create their own MyPlate visual aid.
  • Glue the plate to a piece of paper, slip it into a page protector, and add it to your gardening notebook.
  • Discuss meal planning, making sure to include a variety of produce and other nutrients from the food groups. Make a grocery list based on the meal plan.
  • Take a field trip to the local supermarket. Discuss paying attention to the nutritional value when making decisions on what foods to buy. It’s also important to compare the ingredients on different brands.
  • For additional learning in math, have the children keep a running price total of the groceries.
  • When home, have your children clean out the refrigerator before putting the new groceries away.
  • Take pictures and tag #theabundantgarden on Instagram to share your fun and for an opportunity to be featured @theabundantgarden.

The Abundant Garden: Growing Quality Kids Through Gardening by Kinderfarmhomeschool.com

The Abundant Garden: Growing Quality Kids Through Gardening by Kinderfarmhomeschool.com

The Abundant Garden: Growing Quality Kids Through Gardening by Kinderfarmhomeschool.com

The Abundant Garden: Growing Quality Kids Through Gardening by Kinderfarmhomeschool.com