Natural Aphid Control: An activity for children of all ages. Aphids are one of the most common garden pests. If you have ever tried to remove aphids from kale before eating it you know that it would be nice to keep the pests away before they become a problem. In this activity you will learn some simple ways to keep aphids at bay.
- Preventing aphids is the first step, and the best way to do this is to have ladybugs in your garden. To do this, first of all make sure you’re growing plants that ladybugs love such as fennel, dill, and cilantro. If these don’t naturally attract ladybugs you can also purchase ladybugs to add to your garden.
- Even with lots of ladybugs some aphids will probably make it to your plants and this is ok. To keep them under control use the following two methods
- Spray aphids off your plants using a garden hose. This my sound too simple but it works. The aphids will rarely crawl back onto the plant.
- Spray the aphids with a dilute mixture of water and soap (1 tsp of soap per 1 quart of water). The soap will eliminate the aphids and prevent them from laying eggs and furthering the problem.
- Repeat these methods as necessary.