Image by WordSwag
Taste Test Apples: an activity for children of all ages. Taste testing apples is a great way to learn about the different varieties of apples and a fun way to determine which apples are your favorites.
- Supplies needed:
- of variety of apples
- cutting board
- bowls (one for each variety)
- garden notebook/journal
- pencil and eraser
- With your child, go to the grocery store and buy a variety of apples (how many different types is up to you). If you will be doing the activity on making homemade applesauce, make sure to buy nine extra apples (three of each kind of three separate varieties).
- Wash and cut each apple into bite-sized pieces, making sure to keep each variety of apple separate. (Be sure to save the seeds for the Growing Apple Trees From Seeds activity.)
- Place pieces of each apple into separate bowls.
- Have your child taste each variety of apple, noting the difference in taste and texture.
- Arrange the apples in order from least to most favorite.
- For more fun, blindfold your child and see if they are able to identify the variety just by smelling and/or tasting it.
- List the favorite varieties in the garden notebook/journal.
- Take pictures and tag #theabundantgarden on Instagram to share your fun and for an opportunity to be featured @theabundantgarden.