Image by Word Swag
Tomato, tomato: an activity for children of all ages. In this activity, children will learn about tomatoes and how they grow.
- garden notebook
- art medium of your choice (colored pencils, watercolors, etc.)
- page protectors
- Read a book (a portion at a time) to learn about tomatoes such as Tomatoes Grow on a Vine by Mari Shuh and have the children retell what they learned in their own words.
- Look over Nature Anatomy by Julia Rothman (p. 88-91) then draw a tomato plant and label the parts.
- For older children: Identify the various types of tomatoes. Discuss the different ways to grow and the growing conditions needed. Document this information in the garden notebook.
- Feel free to add poems, favorite recipes, or pictures of tomatoes found in magazines to your garden journal as well.
- Slip this page into a page protector and add to the garden notebook as desired.